Friday, May 11, 2012

Traveling Raw


Last week I took my daughter on a vacation/birthday celebration trip to Miami...
She turned 21, I turned 48.

I cannot tell you how many fretful hours I spent worrying about food. I researched the menus of every restaurant I could find, mapquested juice bars within walking distance of our hotel and in all the nearby areas of where we were going to be sightseeing the most...

And it was all so unnecessary.

Because, here's the thing.
Raw is easy once you make the decision to embrace the lifestyle.

I actually did better adhering to the lifestyle away from home than while at home... see yesterday's post.
No griddle, no rice, no speed-dial badness...
And the reason is, because I was so afraid cheating would lead to inflammation, which would lead to joint pain, or intestinal misery, that I wasn't willing to take the chance of ruining the few days we were there.

At restaurants I chose juices, fruits, and salads. Period.
I found a grocery in walking distance of the hotel and stocked up on bananas and watermelon.

I found an amazing Thai restaurant/Sushi bar across the road from the hotel that offered a papaya salad that was to die for. Seriously. I could have ate that salad for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day of the visit.

So if you are wondering if you can maintain raw on the road: the answer is, yes you can...if you set your mind to it. Reassure yourself by doing the research before you leave, mapquest your way to juice bars and raw food restaurants if you must, but know that even iHop has a fruit bowl...and salads.

You can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment