Thursday, August 4, 2011

Making It Work This Week

The last few times I've tried to "go Raw" haven't worked. I blamed lack of will power and fast food commercials. This time around I can't go to fast food restaurants because they all use MSG liberally and even when they don't actively add MSG they may unknowingly be using products that contain MSG. (This is an eye-opening list to go by if you want to check the labels you have in your house right now. Think about it, no restaurant is gong to go to the trouble. So, if you are severely sensitive, as I have recently discovered I am, or think you are, start by paying attention to how you feel after you eat out...) Now my lack of will-power is a totally different issue.

The biggest obstacles I face are a carnivore hubby... I love grilled meat... who thinks he's French and considers wine and cheese the only food he needs besides meat. Okay, two meal plans... ooohsoo expensive... maybe we'll have to compromise...

The other obstacle is just not liking the recipes I've tried out of Raw Food Uncook-books. I think most of the authors honestly see cilantro as required for every dish. I'm not a big fan of cilantro. I won't gag if its used lightly in salsa, but don't go crazy with the stuff...and I've tried hard to like it and thrown many meals away.

This time around I'm using tried and true favorites that I've always had... Waldorf Salad, Carrot Raisen Salad...as a starting ground for a theory that there are good RAW recipes in regular cookbooks. There is usually a salad section...

I'm also using recipes that are mostly raw. Like Deli-Style Bow-tie Pasta. Yes, there's a cooked noodle in there but if I bump up the veggie proportion its gong to fit in my 75% raw goal. Ditto for Quino and Cous Cous Salads...

So, this week I'm hanging in there. Seventy-five percent raw, feeling pretty good, and not craving anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment