Tuesday, January 10, 2012

LABELED: NOT VEGAN

vegan defined: a person who does not eat or use animal products.


Tonight I didn't make it to the Vegan Meet-Up I've been looking forward to for weeks... circumstances beyond my control stepped in. In response, I heard from friends and/or relatives, "It's probably for the best... I mean, your not EXACTLY vegan, are you?" or similar phrases...

So in review:

1. I am a mostly RAW FOODIST that on occasion eats steamed vegetables.

2. ON rare occasions I will eat raw cheeses from farms that meet my high standard for housing, care, use of organics, stance of antibiotics and/or hormones, and grazing.
3. On even rarer occasions I consume grains.

4. I eat the occasional egg (last year 2011, I consumed 6 eggs; so far in 2012 I've consumed no eggs thus far) but only if I know where it was collected from and that the collection meets my hard-core standard on housing, free-range, and I believe those eggs were collected in a caring manner ie the owner loves and treats there hens as loved and respected members of their family.

5. I consume honey because I know beekeepers love their bees and will do anything to protect and preserve their hives, including the careful, respectful collection processes.


6. I am against inhumane treatment of all animals ie unnecessary violence including but not limited to domestic violence, domestic animal neglect and abuse, domesticated animal fighting, and factory farms.


7. I carry a leather purse that is a treasured gift made by a man who respected the life given to create the product and as such is one of my "high power items" as much talisman as carry-all.
I have two pairs of leather shoes that are in the same shape they were twenty years ago when I bought them.

Why does any of this really matter? Because it means I am not 100% vegan. In the eyes of every vegan I've ever met, you are either vegan or you are not vegan. Which begs the question, do I have any business going to a vegan support group meeting? In my mind yes... maybe I'm wrong...maybe I'd offend every single person in the room... won't know til I make a meeting.

Here's the thing. This is OHIO. Finding another RAW FOODIST is next to Impossible. Finding a raw-food or vegetarian group in my area is equally so. There is however a vegan group and I am in search of a friend base that will offer support on my down days, share their experiences of different restaurants, and grocers, and point me in the right direction of products I am seeking.

Who else am I going to have this conversation: "this awesome new hand-sanitizer hasn't been tested on animals!" and have the listener care?

Who else am I going to gripe to about factory farms? The high percentage of dog fights north of here? Or would care that I've owned two such "rescued dogs" from a future of violence?"

No, I am not a strict vegan. And I'm not apologetic about that because my heart is at peace with my choices but in lieu that I am 95% raw, I am a vegan eater 95% of the time.

I hope the vegan group will be more supportive than some of those people who want to give me advice...
Because I am trying to live the healthiest, most humane life I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment