Thursday, September 1, 2011

Off To A Strong Start!

I woke up thinking about RAW...and smiled...because I feel like I made a miraculous transition in mental state. Maybe it's just the first day of something new, but I felt strong, and still feel strong after an entire day.

Here's what was on the menu:

Breakfast: 105 cal, 0.5 fat
1 Banana
1 Apple
cup herb tea (peppermint) (drank after meal, not during)
**Normal I start the day with a smoothie...I have for almost a solid year now. Strangely, this morning, I pulled forward the blender, lined up the fruit...and ate the banana. Then I diced up the mango for later and mixed with the blueberries. I sat looking at the apple for awhile and decided, "What the heck" and ate it. So breakfast was a little strange for me, but pleasantly enjoyable.

Lunch: 250 cal, 0.5 fat
Blueberry Mango Salad
24 oz water (after meal not during)

Dinner: 150 cal, 1.5 fat
Couscous Salad
24 oz water (after meal, not during)
**recipe below
**also, since I immediately had a raw friend tell me I couldn't eat couscous because couscous isn't raw, and wheat, which is a "dead" product. I have a few things to say about that:
First, made traditionally, couscous is a raw product. Granted, all couscous made in the US is cooked. Hence I found a "how to" video for making traditional couscous and will try that method next go around. If successful, I'll share the experience...obviously...and if I fail miserably, I'll probably try a few more times before I declare defeat online. Either way, you'll know eventually. I'm attaching the how to video at the end of this post in case you want to give it a go yourself.

Second, the whole dead vs alive argument could take whole novels at length to argue out. Here's my opinion...Grain, like seeds, are not dead, merely hibernating. They can be sprouted. Granted, there's no sprouting my semolina flour. It's a goner. But, it my humble opinion, if a few grains of semolina can help me stay raw, then I'll take a 99% raw-foodie label for now. Ditto on the honey...

Summary of my day, I feel good, I'm not hungry. I listened to calming music, I meditated, I did yoga, I spent some time in my garden and I walked a mile. I doesn't get any better than that. I have energy to spare. My only concern is today's total calorie count. I am pleased with being able to maintain less than 10% fat easily.
Total calories: 505  
Total Fat: 2.5 g - according to www.fitday.com is 4%

Recipe:

Almost-Raw CousCous Salad

1/4c dry couscous, hydrated
1 large bunch broccoli, heads only chopped fine
1 pkg baby portabella mushrooms, diced
1 vidalia onion, diced
2 heirloom tomatoes, diced
1 large handful bibb lettuce or heirloom type mixed greens
juice 1 lime
1 T honey
3 cloves garlic
6 basil leaves chopped (or 1T dried herbs to taste)

Hydrate couscous
In bowl mix juice of lime with honey, add minced garlic and herbs...set aside while dicing veggies, adding veggies as chopped. Add couscous. Chill. Add tomatoes and lettuce just before serving.

How To:

Make Traditional CousCous, recipe according to Ibn Razin, at Tugibi, 13th century, Andalusia


No comments:

Post a Comment