Tuesday, November 22, 2011

EEK! The Holidays Are Coming!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday...scratch that...thanksgiving used to be my favorite holiday...and the reason for both is the same. It's all about the food!

Forget the centerpiece, I've been mostly vegan most of my adult life so I will not miss having bird flesh on my plate. But all those yummy nummy veggie side dishes... read super fatty butter laden... so even vegan will not save me from those temptations...

Thankfully, my mother-in-law (she's cooking) knows that I am on a mostly raw food, no msg, no processed foods, extremely low-fat diet and so hopefully wont be offended when I show up with my own food to try to save myself from temptation! I am taking Mango-Blue Salad, Wowed-up Waldorf Salad (traditional Waldorf wo the fat heavy mayo solved by replacing with a simple agave/apple cider vinegar dressing and a super-protein in the form of an ancient red rice from the Himalayas), and a Mixed Veggie Italian Salad (think pasta salad with no pasta and no meat just the yummy veggie goodness x10)...

I'm also working on remaking the original veggie pizza...you know the one: crescent rolls, cream cheese, msg loaded ranch dressing powder, mozzarella, and veggies... mine is going to have a flax-seed-nut base, a garlic hummus spread, and all the wonderful veggies...not completely low-fat but knocks a chunk off the original!

The killer is going to be the pies...
I love pie...I'm debating scooping a few spoonfuls of gooey goodness out of the no-no crust just to say I had some...and paying for it in pain and suffering for days following...

Or...Plan B...trying to come up with an equally crazy good desert.
Sigh...

Thanksgiving used to be amazing.
And I think future Thanksgivings will get easier as time goes by and I get used to my lifestyle change...and everyone around me adjusts to the fact that all of the traditional recipes are out and a whole bunch of new favorites are in...

Yule is coming, I'm making dinner, and I'm already prepared with a Fantastically Healthy Mostly-Raw Menu!! Now that's something to get excited about:)

No comments:

Post a Comment