Saturday, November 5, 2011

Juice Feast Day #2

The easy part has been deciding to juice. Fresh juice made with raw fruits and vegetables provide the body with an instant nutrient and enzyme boost abundant in vitamins and minerals.

The hardest part for me has been figuring out... how much juice????? I'm guessing a half gallon, since I've seen that many men aim for a full gallon and I figure I'd need about half that but that didn't seem very scientific, so in an effort to figure it out I researched the number of calories in average juice preparations when using a juicer:

from Livestrong:
Citrus
Raw grapefruit juice has around 96 calories per 8-oz. serving. Lemon juice and lime juice contain around 60 calories per 8-oz. glass, and 8 oz. of freshly squeezed orange juice has around 110 calories per 8-oz. serving.


Other Fruits

An 8-oz. glass of freshly squeezed fruit juice prepared with a variety of fruits including apple, pineapple, strawberry and grapes would provide around 125 calories.

Vegetables

Drinking fresh vegetable juice allows you to consume an optimal quantity of vegetables in a simple and time-efficient manner. Adding a sweet vegetable such as a carrot can help to make vegetable juice more palatable, especially if you have included vegetables with a bitter taste. An 8-oz. glass of vegetable juice prepared with carrot, celery and parsley contains 90 calories.
I'm going to aim for about 1000 calories per day... maybe 80 ounces?
I'll adjust as I go and let you know...


Want to know more about the benefits of juicing? And what many common fruits and veggies do for your body? This Art of Juicing article is a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment