Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Choose Raw First

I talk to a lot of people about changing their diet to improve their health... it's hard not to. Everywhere I look there are sick people, hurting people, dying people...

And they always ask, "How do you did you do that? How did you change to such a drastic diet?"

I say, "Because I used to be you. Sick. Sad. Hopeless. And the glimmer of hope that I could get my life back, get my health back...that was enough to give it a try."

But in the beginning I felt like this:

It isn't easy. It's hard. Giving up my cooked food addiction. My MSG addiction. My fast food addiction. My PEPSI addiction. My dairy addiction. Has been the hardest battle of my life and I see it as a battle. Me against disease. Me against the industry. I was fighting for my life. I still am. And that's the way I look at it every day because I know how close relapse is...been there did that earlier this week if you've been following these posts.

Thankfully it also gets a little easier every day, but I am ever vigilant, and I CHOOSE RAW FIRST. No matter what I want, what I'm craving, or what I think my body wants or needs.

I am always ready with a piece of fruit because if I'm ready to eat anything in sight...I will fail. I've journeyed two years down this path and I know my strengths and weaknesses. I see golden arches and start drooling (not because I miss the food but because msg addiction does that to a person) and I dig in my purse for the banana I stashed there...and KEEP DRIVING.

I start thinking how much I miss something...usually enchiladas with mole sauce...and I start trying to figure out a way to replicate what I want...and start building a salad, adding layers, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalepenos, cocoa nibs...don't knock it til you try it...so good! I may end up adding pineapple and hot sauce...last is guacamole because I'm always rationing fat grams. I'm usually satisfied with the results by this point...but if I'm just not, I will add some rice (I use an ancient grain you wouldn't recognize as rice that is grown in the Bhutan region of the Himalayas. It is organic. It is a great source of protein. And even though I cook it, I feel like I am eating a healthy food (I am 95% raw so in emergencies I don't feel too guilty)

Anyway...that's a trick for staying raw...choose raw first.
My husband has seen me go through a ton of food! I want Wendy's!! (There's usually a few expletives involved) And he calmly tells me "No." (he is my designated raw food/msg police and he stops me from committing bodily harm to myself by reminding me why I am on this path in the first place) He then hands me a banana...and then an apple...and then juice... asking me after each item, "Still want Wendy's?" And eventually I answer, "No. Thank you for protecting me from myself." He really is my hero...

That is my second trick, which I rarely talk about. My raw food police/support person who I am accountable to... Hubby didn't want the job but after two years of seeing me in agony and misery, he finally committed 100% and I thank him daily for assuming this responsibility.

I also have a raw food buddy...someone I can call, text...cry to, laugh with...share memorable recipes with... and in the event my raw food police isn't available, emergency dial. Yes, it's like an alcoholic phoning their sponsor before they enter a bar, giving that person a chance to talk them down...

You may think this is all silly, overkill, maybe even ridiculous... but I'm fighting for the most important thing I've ever fought for in my life. Me. And I will be free of disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment