Thursday, December 8, 2011

Healing Crisis Day 5: Supplements

Today I am much improved!! Yay!
Still going to remain 80% juice but am going to add some leafy greens for lunch and dinner. I honestly think my body was starved for magnesium. I started feeling a difference after the very first dose and I am going to stick with 250mg twice daily for duration of my raw/vegan journey.

My bowels are moving after every meal (just like they were designed to do) and this has never happened in my life except when I had the Irritable Bowel flares which led to weeks of diarrhea (but we aren't going to discuss that)

Whether or not raw foodies (or vegans for that matter) need supplements is a huge debate that has raged forever. For me, it isn't a matter of philosophy... it's a matter of health and well being...

Lesson learned: I need supplements...

I knew I did, which is why I take a subliminal vitamin B complex daily. And also why I am so careful to track my daily food intake on an online program... I've been bit in the butt by a major deficiency before.

It's amazing to me just how badly one can feel when the body is deficient in any major vitamin or mineral... and how quickly relief from the symptoms comes with supplementation.

About eighteen years ago when I was vegan, I became magnesium deficient and experienced severe chest pain and heart arrhythmia... a homeopathic nutritionist clued me in then...

This time I had severe intestinal pain...
And you'd think I'd have earned from past experience, but no, I trotted right off to a doctor (D.O.)
which seemed about worthless because aside from an antibiotic and a laxative, he had no answer for me without performing a CAT Scan, which I declined. I even mentioned to him I wanted a prescription grade magnesium supplement because something in the back of my brain kept nagging me... I only remembered once I was home about my previous experience.

There, I consulted my online nutritional data program and realized yep, I did it again...severely low magnesium
 intake. I started googling symtoms. Directly following pain was constipation, which can be caused by a magnesium deficiency. Bingo. I'd done it again...

So now, magnesium sits right next to my vitamin b complex and I am taking both twice a day...

So exactly which vitamins and minerals do a vegan need to be concerned with? Every vegan/raw foodie needs to be concerned with:

Magnesium
Calcium with Vitamin D
Vitamin B 12, 6, 5

These supplements are not highly available in a vegan diet and a deficiency can have serious results...

I am also watching my iron and zinc closely because they are 50% less than were they should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment