Saturday, December 10, 2011

Comfort Foods

Now that my healing crisis appears to be over, I'm beginning to contemplate where I stand on terms of my raw foodie journey. I am more convinced now that I am healing...and even more committed. But there's still those downfall emotional days that ned addressed before I fall on temptation again, which leads to comfort foods.

Wow, raw and comfort food do not seem to go in the same sentence and that in and of itself has been my biggest challenge this year... high stress days and emotional days beg for all those super bad for me foods and I have had to learn to break the cycle of emotional food addiction...

But...

There is still a place for comfort food, I've just needed to reach deep and find them. So here are a few of my fall backs... and how they became emotionally charged enough to become "comfort food":

Romaine Fold Ups


Take a romaine leaf, spread with hummus or a nut butter (I always use hummus) top with carrots and sweet/hot pickle slices... I know, sounds horrible but for me the taste is COMFORT. And here's why: After my divorce, times were lean and there were more than a few days that romaine, nut butter, baby carrots, and pickles were all that were in the fridge. I always made happy little fold-ups and said a prayer of gratitude that I was able to be "on my own" and paying my bills (because the mortgage and electricity somehow always got paid)... Fear had kept me from leaving a bad marriage... but I'd left and being able to subsist on "whatever was in the fridge" was a hundred times more gratifying than any bounty I'd left behind...

Squash Toss - zucchini, yellow squash, onion, and corn cut off the cob tossed in a light sesame oil/lime juice dressing - dehydrated to warm (usually an hour and a half will do it, then sprinkled with some fresh cilantro and a little garlic powder, salt, and pepper. YUM!


Bananas - any way I can get them but preferably super duper ripe - my husband calls them rotten at that point...

The key to comfort food, isn't that it's hot, but that it speaks to some part of your soul...and those feelings can be built from here and now if there isn't a single food in your raw repertoire ... start now developing feelings of love, hope, gratitude, solitude when you eat key items and over time these foods will replace your old comfort foods... you just have to be willing to have an open heart and open mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment